WELCOME to Magenta Counselling & Psychotherapy
Find out more about the therapies I offer and how I can help you.
I support clients seeking solutions to a wide range of issues, challenges and distress. This can be achieved in weekly sessions, through counselling (shorter term), psychotherapy (longer term), EMDR therapy (can be integrated to either of those therapeutic approaches) or to life coaching, if considered appropriate. Sessions available in Battersea, Kingston upon Thames and Southfields
Counselling & Psychotherapy
Many personal, every-day life or professional related problems can be helped through counselling. This is about making a positive choice to get the help that you need when you need it. Don’t wait until a problem has grown to become unmanageable – rather address the issues early, before they become entrenched.
- Relationships and relational issues, problems in a couple;
- Family system fractures and dysfunctions;
- Bereavement and other losses;
- Psychosexual issues, gender and identity issues;
- Substance abuse and other behavioural dependencies;
- Eating disorders and body issues;
- Depressive and anxious symptomology, including panic attacks, phobias and OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder);
- Various types of traumatic disorders: including PTSD, C-PTSD (Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and dissociative symptoms;
- Childhood sexual abuse, domestic abuse;
- Work-related issues and emotional distress in the professional life.
Foremost, the aim is to build a good rapport – a therapeutic alliance – where trust and authenticity helps in engaging with issues that are sometimes delicate or painful:
- by gradually exploring your thoughts and feelings;
- by working cooperatively to find a resolution to the problem and helping you to look at situations from different points of view;
- by paying attention to your developmental history, looking at important formative experiences that have contributed to your core beliefs and expectations;
- by seeking to provide empathy and compassion and thus helping foster your own empathy and compassion towards the self and others;
- by addressing together your (maladaptive) attempts at solving problems: involving endeavours at avoiding emotional pain (through addictions and impulsive behaviours etc);
- by supporting you in facing situations that you have avoided in the past (both external situations and inner emotions), and in finding realistic adaptive solutions to alleviate life’s problems.
Most importantly, in all of this, by tracking sensitively the timing and context of this unique journey. The map is provided but you are the traveller!
What is EMDR Therapy?
Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is an integrative psychotherapy approach that has been extensively researched and proven effective for the treatment of trauma. EMDR is a set of standardised protocols that incorporates elements from many different treatment approaches.
What kind of problems can EMDR treat?
Scientific research has established EMDR as effective for the treatment of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). However, it has also been proven to be successful in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Panic Attacks, Complicated Grief, Dissociative Disorders, Disturbing Memories
- Phobias, Pain Disorders, Performance Anxiety, Stress Reduction, Addictions
- Sexual and/or Physical Abuse, Body Dysmorphic Disorders, Personality Disorders
If you would like to know more about EMDR as well as other treatments for trauma and dissociation, please contact me to arrange a consultation (by phone or in-person).
Attachment-Based Life Coaching
If this is of interest, please contact me to hear more about re-considering emotional strategies of your life/work/relationship through the lens of the life-span attachment narrative
I have over 20 years of post-qualification experience in Counselling & Psychotherapy, and full accreditation and registration as a member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy of which Code of Ethics I uphold). My core qualifications are Integrative (PG Diploma in Integrative Counselling); this favours a stance that attunes finely to the client’s unique needs; responds creatively and adaptively to the individual goals of therapy, and give access to an extended spectrum of clinical modalities.
To substantiate my further professional qualifications and expertise, I am also a member of organisations that advocate trauma informed approaches, ESTD (European Society for Trauma & Dissociation) and its UK Network; EMDR UK & Ireland (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing).