WELCOME to Magenta Counselling & Psychotherapy
Find out more about the therapies I offer and how I can help you.
I support clients seeking solutions to a wide range of issues, challenges and distress. This can be achieved in weekly sessions, through counselling (shorter term), psychotherapy (longer term), EMDR therapy (can be integrated to either of those therapeutic approaches) or to life coaching, if considered appropriate. Sessions available in Battersea, Kingston upon Thames and Southfields
Counselling & Psychotherapy
Many personal, every-day life or professional related problems can be helped through counselling. This is about making a positive choice to get the help that you need when you need it. Don’t wait until a problem has grown to become unmanageable – rather address the issues early, before they become entrenched.
- Relationships and relational issues, problems in a couple;
- Family system fractures and dysfunctions;
- Bereavement and other losses;
- Psychosexual issues, gender and identity issues;
- Substance abuse and other behavioural dependencies;
- Eating disorders and body issues;
- Depressive and anxious symptomology, including panic attacks, phobias and OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder);
- Various types of traumatic disorders: including PTSD, C-PTSD (Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and dissociative symptoms;
- Childhood sexual abuse, domestic abuse;
- Work-related issues and emotional distress in the professional life.
Foremost, the aim is to build a good rapport – a therapeutic alliance – where trust and authenticity helps in engaging with issues that are sometimes delicate or painful:
- by gradually exploring your thoughts and feelings;
- by working cooperatively to find a resolution to the problem and helping you to look at situations from different points of view;
- by paying attention to your developmental history, looking at important formative experiences that have contributed to your core beliefs and expectations;
- by seeking to provide empathy and compassion and thus helping foster your own empathy and compassion towards the self and others;
- by addressing together your (maladaptive) attempts at solving problems: involving endeavours at avoiding emotional pain (through addictions and impulsive behaviours etc);
- by supporting you in facing situations that you have avoided in the past (both external situations and inner emotions), and in finding realistic adaptive solutions to alleviate life’s problems.
Most importantly, in all of this, by tracking sensitively the timing and context of this unique journey. The map is provided but you are the traveller!
What is EMDR Therapy?
Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is an integrative psychotherapy approach that has been extensively researched and proven effective for the treatment of trauma. EMDR is a set of standardised protocols that incorporates elements from many different treatment approaches.
What kind of problems can EMDR treat?
Scientific research has established EMDR as effective for the treatment of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). However, it has also been proven to be successful in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Panic Attacks, Complicated Grief, Dissociative Disorders, Disturbing Memories
- Phobias, Pain Disorders, Performance Anxiety, Stress Reduction, Addictions
- Sexual and/or Physical Abuse, Body Dysmorphic Disorders, Personality Disorders
If you would like to know more about EMDR as well as other treatments for trauma and dissociation, please contact me to arrange a consultation (by phone or in-person).
Attachment-Based Life Coaching
As our attachment narrative (that is our experience of growing up within the holding environment provided by parents or carers) is on a continuum throughout the life-span, we observe that patterns from these early years are mirrored, resonated, replicated, as we go on through life, into mature attachment systems: intimate relationships, friendships, professional and work-place affiliations and connections. I have found that been aware and actively processing the early attachment history with a view to heal the trauma of the past can impact and transform these places. Life Coaching can be offered as a stand-alone approach or integrated in the course of counselling and or psychotherapy sessions.
If this is of interest, please contact me to hear more about re-considering emotional strategies of your life/work/relationship through the lens of the life-span attachment narrative.
I have over 20 years of post-qualification experience in Counselling & Psychotherapy, and full accreditation and registration as a member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy of which Code of Ethics I uphold). My core qualifications are Integrative (PG Diploma in Integrative Counselling); this favours a stance that attunes finely to the client’s unique needs; responds creatively and adaptively to the individual goals of therapy and gives access to an extended spectrum of clinical modalities.
To substantiate my further professional qualifications and expertise, I have undertaken additional clinical training with (and joined membership of) organisations that advocate trauma informed approaches: ESTD (European Society for Trauma & Dissociation) and its UK Network, ESTD-UK; EMDR UK & Ireland (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing);
As a response to the requirement for self-isolation and social-distancing to control the spread of the virus, we are all having to modify our personal logistical decisions and everyday human contacts. Regrettably, attending face-to-face sessions is no longer possible until we receive different directives from government and other relevant public bodies. I am thus making available on-line therapy sessions using secure and confidential on-line platforms.
Whilst working in a different format, the aim is to preserve the warm, relational, collaborative and co-creative style of the therapy that is been offered and make use of the relevant technology, not as a constraints to the on-screen interaction, but as a fully-integrated support to the therapeutic contact. Ethical, confidential and security guidelines received from the BACP and other relevant professional bodies as well as governmental guidelines are implemented for this purpose.